Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful?

My body is lithe, and my hair cascades around my shoulders. The band begins to play, rah rah rah, and the gilded doors open. I step out and onward, from the black starry night of my youth, into the world of grown-up dress-up. I slip and no one steadies me, no one seems to notice. I whisper to myself, "I can do this, I can do this, I can do this," and move onward.

Take note. I am alright! I am ok! No need to sound the alarm. All is well within, all is well without. I am like you, light and cheerful. I am aglow with health and ease.

White cloth billows from the tall windows, beckoning us to return to the land and the lapping waves so near. Asking us to bathe in the moonlight and breathe the sharp night air.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be caught up in those stars. As though one night the Earth herself might forget to hold me close to her, and I'll just float away.

What would it be like to travel into space? I don't ever imagine a suit, no, I might just exist out there, just like I exist here, scarcely breathing. 

Perhaps I would discover something altogether new. Perhaps my lungs would fill with dark matter, and my cells would use their dark energy to propel me onward forever. Anything could happen.

Snap!

My mind ceases to wonder and I look around to see who has clicked his fingers in my face. It's a handsome man. A man too handsome to take any notice of me.

But he has, and won't stop staring into me with those crystal blue eyes that remind me of a lake I once jumped into at the top of a mountain. Nothing lived in that lake, which is why it was so pure.

Like Space, so clean. Life always dirties things and death is simply cleaning up and cleaning out.

Mold, bacteria and worms, they all simply exist to clean. The mops and dustpans of the universe. First, stop life. Then, clean life out.

No comments: